What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are natural or synthetic substances that fight free radicals in the body and are able to slow the aging process. The main properties of antioxidants are in that they are able to stop the chain reaction of oxidation processes and thereby boost immunity, preserve youth cells and organs of the human body.
Why free radicals are so dangerous?
Free radicals are hyperactive oxygen-rich compounds that can harm our cells. We are constantly under the influence of free radicals. They are the originators of dangerous diseases such as cancer.
And most importantly – free radicals disrupt DNA molecular provoking a change of genetic information, the emergence of “mutated cells,” destabilize the function of the immune system and accelerate the aging process.
Where are free radicals in the human body?
First, they are produced continuously during natural metabolic processes in the body. And also due to the influence of stress and metabolic disorder due to poor nutrition.
Secondly, they appear in the body under the influence of external factors, both natural and anthropogenic influenced environmental pollution, radiation, increased solar activity, household chemicals, smoking, etc.
What to do, how to help the body?
Antioxidants are able to neutralize the activity of free radicals and can help the body resist these harmful processes. Now science knows that with increasing age of the person in his body accumulate large amounts of free radicals that destroy the body, promote the formation of age-related diseases and accelerate the aging process. Hence is the importance of the protective role of antioxidants. Experts strongly recommend regularly include in your diet products with antioxidant properties.
Health Benefits of Antioxidants:
- Prevent the spread of oxidation reactions with the formation of unoxidized elements
- Strengthen the immune system naturally
- Protect cells and organs from damage tissues
- Have not only a preventive effect, but also the ability to slow the formation and development of pathological changes and the aging process.
- Established their ability to eliminate the negative effects of chemo and radiotherapy, contribute to the effective cleaning of the body at the cellular and molecular level, to prevent the development of cancer, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, which is important for the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
The Most Well-known Antioxidants:
- Vitamin A or carotenoid found in carrots, pumpkin, broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, peaches, apricots, IE in brightly colored fruits and vegetables.
- Vitamin C – a citrus fruit (oranges, lemons, etc.), apples, green peppers, broccoli, herbs (parsley, dill, lettuce), strawberries, tomatoes.
- Vitamin E is found in nuts, whole grains, vegetable oil, liver, olives.
- Selenium, magnesium in fish, shellfish, red meat (lamb, beef), eggs, chicken, garlic.
- Flavonoids – natural substances found in soy, red wine, red grapes, pomegranates, cranberries, green tea.
Medicinal properties of plants containing flavonoids
Medicinal properties of plants have long been known to mankind, in medical practice, always used water extracts of bark, leaves, flowers and roots. Modern science, summed scientific justification under traditional methods of treatment. Furthermore shown that many plants, fruits and vegetables contain biologically active substances flavonoids that by participating in the process of biochemical interactions can give its electron and bind free radicals and do not become aggressive molecules.
In plants, it has been found about 5,000 flavonoids (huge pantry!) with a wide range of curative action. Natural antioxidants thanks to its powerful healing properties are able to protect the cells of the vital organs (liver, heart, lungs) from damage by free radicals.
Thus, you can really strengthen the immune system and prevent serious diseases by a simple way – to include regularly in diet foods that have antioxidant properties. Most people do not get enough antioxidants from food, so it is recommended to take supplements containing antioxidants.